NAIST Pre-screening Internship 2019 (For Specially Recommended International Students for 2020/2021 Enrollment) which will take place at the Division of Materials Science, Nara Institute of Science and Technology (NAIST) from December 3 to December 20, 2019.
This program is open to all Master students, faculty members, researchers or graduates from your university who passionately wish to enroll and continue their studies in the NAIST doctoral program. The internship consists of a lab-stay and an interview with our faculty members. Based on participants’ performance during the lab-stay and interview, we will evaluate their suitability for the NAIST doctoral program and select potential doctoral students. Participants who are eventually selected will be admitted to NAIST in October 2020 without any further examination. Some excellent participants may be selected for scholarships. Selection is based on performance during the internship program.
<For students in 1st year of a master program>
If students pass this internship program, they must then apply for MEXT Embassy recommendation scholarship in their country. If students are successful in gaining this scholarship, their enrollment will be in 2021, upon completion of their master’s degree. If students are not successful, they will still have another chance to be selected as a candidate for MEXT University recommendation scholarship (apply through NAIST) in 2021. Candidates will be selected based on their scores of the internship program. If selected, their enrollment will also be in 2021.
<For students in 2nd year of a master program, lecturers, researchers, and graduates>
If participants pass this internship program, they may be selected as candidates for MEXT University recommendation scholarship. The expected enrollment will be in October 2020. Please recommend two to four of the most suitable applicants from your university who meet our qualifications according to the guidelines. During the internship program, students will stay in at least three laboratories they are interested in. The travel expenses and the accommodation fee will be covered by NAIST. The details will be announced to participants later. The application dead-line is August 31, 2019 and the required documents must be submitted to the head of the M.Sc. Program UGM. Applicants are not allowed to apply directly. Selection is competitive and based on participants’ application documents. Not all applicants will be successful. We are looking forward to seeing your applicants in December.
Application Guidelines for the 2019 Pre-screening Internship for Doctoral Program (For Specially Recommended International Students for 2020/2021 Enrollment)
1. Number of students to be recommended
We recommend two to four of the most suitable applicants from UGM who meet the qualifications below. Application can be done through the head of the chemistry M.Sc. Program.
2. Qualifications of applicants: (1) Those who do not hold Japanese nationality. (2) Those who wish to enroll with NAIST-DMS Doctoral Program.
(3) Those who have a GPA score of at least 3.50 (out of 4.00) in his/her most recent academic transcript.
(4) Those who are highly proficient in English communication, especially in a scientific field. TOEFL >500 is preferable.
(5) Those who are recommended by the president UGM or dean of faculty, and who are recognized for their excellence in academics, achievement, personality and character.
(6) In accordance with the above, candidates must meet one of the criteria below: A) Those who are registered as students, faculty members or researchers at the universities on the following list. Those who meet this requirement are required to keep the status until applying for our entrance examination (Screening of International Students by Special Recommendation). B) Those who have graduated from the following universities, including Universitas Gadjah Mada, Indonesia
(7) Those who will receive a master’s degree by the time of enrollment
(8) Those who plan to enroll with NAIST with the scholarship conditions below: A) MEXT scholarship applying through NAIST (Slot: 7/Age limit: 35) 2020 enrollment B) MEXT scholarship applying through Japanese Embassy (Age limit: 35)* 2021 enrollment *Applicants in Indonesia are required to complete their master’s degree by the time of application. C) Other scholarship D) Private expense (Enrollment fee: 282,000 JPY / Tuition fee: 535,800 JPY/year)*
*Student can apply for exemption. Enrollment fee is not exempted in most of the cases while tuition fee is at least half exempted in most of the cases.
3. Required documents:
CV (use NAIST format)
Academic transcripts (academic record) of Bachelor and Master program school records
Photocopy of a certified TOEIC score or equivalent (e.g., TOEFL, IELTS, etc.) if available
Any format is acceptable, Five A4-size pages max, If applicants have Japanese or English publications of their own, please attach offprints.
Any format is acceptable, Two A4-size pages, Cover the following subjects: • The contents of master’s thesis • The research field/project that applicants want to work on at NAIST after the enrollment
4. Deadline for application: August 31, 2019 (will be sent by UGM via email)
5. How to apply: The head of M.Sc. program will send all required documents by email to the International Student Coordinator of DMS-NAIST (email@example.com). Those documents should be sent as Microsoft Word or PDF files. We make sure that the documents are submitted through us at UGM.
6. Selection procedures: Participants will be selected based on the documents submitted. Not all applicants will be successful. All the applicants will receive the selection results by September 10, 2019 by e-mail from the International Student Coordinator of DMS-NAIST.
7. Detail of the program: This year, the period of the program is from December 4 to 19, 2019 (Arrival: 3 December / Departure: 20 December). The program consists of a 3-day lab-stay in three laboratories, and interview test. Based on performance during the lab stay and the interview test, participants’ suitability for the Doctoral program will be evaluated and potential Doctoral program students selected.
8. Financial support: Flight is covered (Flight will be reserved and will be paid directly to the travel agency by NAIST) Accommodation is covered The fare of the airport shuttle bus is partially covered (3,320JPY/round trip)
Interested? Contact the M.Sc. Program for forms and documentations