Application Guidelines for JICA Innovative Asia Program 2017 at Graduate School of Environmental Science, Hokkaido University
1. Outline of the program
This program supported by JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency) aims to enhance the circulation of competent human resources between Japan and Asian countries and to promote innovation across Asia.
To this end, the program provides opportunities for study and internship in Japan for competent students who graduated or are expected to graduate from ‘partner schools’ in 12 Asian countries.
2. Partner schools
Please refer to the list of partner schools on JICA’s web page (https://www.jica.go.jp/english/countries/asia/innovative_asia.html)
3. Number of participants acceptable to our graduate school
This year, we accept 2 participants of this program into our master’s course as follows:
1) One participant who graduated or is expected to graduate from any of the partner schools in India
2) One participant who graduated or is expected to graduate from any of the partner schools in 12 Asian countries
4. Research fields for application
All fields of environmental science that four divisions of our graduate school cover
5. Schedule of the program
October of 2017: the program starts. Students are enrolled firstly as research students for 6 months
February of 2018: the entrance examination for master’s course
(IMPORTANT: Those who fail to pass the entrance examination must return to their home countries)
April of 2018: the program for master’s course (for 2 years) starts
February of 2020: the final presentation of master thesis
March of 2020: completion of the master’s course
April of 2020: Internships can be offered for up to 6 months in Japan after the completion if participants desire
JICA provides participants in the program the expenses, including entrance fees, tuition, and allowances for living expenses (about 144,000 JPY/month).
JICA will offers all participants internships during summer vacations and/or other appropriate periods.
Please refer JICA’s website for the details. (https://www.jica.go.jp/english/countries/asia/innovative_asia.html)
6. Admission Requirements:
Applicants must satisfy the following requirements:
1) Possessing the nationality of one of the following 12 Asian countries: Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Pakistan, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam
2) Being under 40 years of age (as of September 1st, 2017)
3) Obtaining a bachelor’s degree (as of September 1st, 2017)
4) Applicants shall be a graduate from any of the partner schools (as of September 1st, 2017)
5) Having adequate English skills both in written and oral communication to complete the master’s course in Japan
6) Applicants are required to have clear understanding of the objectives of the Innovative Asia Initiative and to have a strong will to contribute to the industrial development of their home countries as well as to strengthen the linkage between their countries and Japan
7) Applicants must not be receiving or planning to receive a scholarship offered by other foreign organizations
8) Applicants must be both physically and mentally fit for the program
7. Procedure for application
1) Applicants are required to contact an expected supervisor of our graduate school firstly (refer to our website: http://www.ees.hokudai.ac.jp) and consult the research subject with him/her.
2) To apply to this program, submit the documents listed below THROUGH the expected supervisor by May 12, 2017.
3) Successful candidates who pass the screening of documents will be interviewed via poly-com or skype system by the end of May.
4) The result of the interview will be announced in the beginning of June.
8. Documents for application:
1) Application form (attached file (Form-1))
2) Field of Study and Study Program (attached file (Form-2))
3) Academic Transcript (at least recent two years)
4) GPA and/or ABC that indicate the applicant is an excellent student
5) Score of TOEFL or the relevant certification
6) Recommendation letter from an expected supervisor
7) Bona fide diploma of the last graduation
8) Portrait (4.5 cm x 3.5 cm, taken within past six months)
9) Copy of passport
9. Closing date for application:
May 12, 2017 (Japan time)
10. Application document submission
Applicants must submit the required documents to the expected supervisor well in advance of the closing date (see “7. Procedure for application”).
Academic Affairs Section, Graduate School of Environmental Science, Hokkaido University
Kita 10, Nishi 5, Kita-ku, Sapporo 060-0810, Japan